Mhttp://godsbigshow.blogspot.com/y Blog List

Tuesday 20 March 2012

The Bramble

I was preparing to create a small card on my computer, and I was going to use a photograph I had taken some time ago of a blackberry bush.  As I looked at the picture of the bush heavily laden with fruit, with some of the flowers still in full bloom, I suddenly had a revelation of how everything that God creates has its purpose, and how we can sometimes fail to see the relevance and the beauty in certain things.
When we think of the wild bramble that grows in the countryside we tend to think more of its thorns rather than its fruit and its beautiful flowers, yet when we think of the cultivated rose that we grow in our gardens we praise its flower and its perfume rather than concentrate on the thorns.  l sometimes think we have the same principles in our relationships with people.  We  can praise and give more honour to people who are rich and famous, or are endowed with certain kind of looks to fit the fashion of the day, than we do to a poor, unknown or insignificant person.  We are often respecters of persons who are in high positions and tend to miss the lovely qualities in the most ordinary of people. 
I am glad to say that I have never been a respecter of persons, and have often found the greater beauty in the 'wild' more than in the 'cultivated'.   How can God's handywork be improved upon ?
My photograph of the blackberry bush reminded me of just how much beauty is around if we take the time to look.

4 comments:

T-Childs said...

Hi Brenda; wonderful post! Where do I begin? It's almost an answer to my recent post about class and so on. You wrote "...we can sometimes fail to see the relevance and the beauty in certain things." Yes we do, and all the time. When we look at a fruit tree we don't often realise its wonder and how it was created for us merely to pluck the sweet fruit in season. It's a blessing!

You wrote "We can praise and give more honour to people who are rich and famous, or are endowed with certain kind of looks to fit the fashion of the day, than we do to a poor, unknown or insignificant person." In most western societies, the high-born and wealthy and influential are more often than not regarded as more important than someone seen as ordinary. I now understand that God's value system is far more important than worldly humanity's value system. In treating all we meet with love, compassion and just consideration, we are doing the Saviour's work each day. Thanks for posting such an illuminating and thoughtful post.

Brenda said...

Hi Tim
Still not on line at home, down the library. I love the way that we can all be built up by one another, I feel the same about your posts. When I saw your post I realized that they appeared to dovetail together and I know that God caused those connections, my life is full of incidents where this happens.
Being rich and famous could never bring the pleasure that I get out of the simplest of things. This morning there was a huge bumble bee trapped in my front porch. It has made my day to set it free and watch it fly away.
Brenda

RussDaMan said...

Very nice. Awesome presentation with your great photo. Don't you just love it when God's gifts come together.

Brenda said...

Hi Russ,
yes I do love the way God's gifts come together. I did leave a comment on your blog, Kelline asked me to view it, but it doesn't seem to have come up. I have been having trouble with comments not showing up on my blog so I have gone over to a pop up window which seems to improve the situation.