Mhttp://godsbigshow.blogspot.com/y Blog List

Wednesday 27 April 2022

In the beginning

 I would just like to share how I came to the Lord, I don't think I have shared this on my blog before.

My conversion to Christianity had been dramatic. I had been very 'worldly' previous to my conversion, but had also experienced the supernatural presence of God through a healing when I was a child, and a near death experience during my adult life. My father had been a lovely person who often, when we his children had arguments and we would ask 'Dad, dad, who is right?', would often say 'Let's see what the Lord says', and would find a verse in his Bible that would always settle the argument and bring peace amongst us. He was quite a bit older than my mother, and died when I was eleven years of age. I was actually in the room at his passing. It left a great void in my life  

 'Father, where are you?' said the child in despair 
 'Father where are you?' she cried
 but in the darkened room there was nobody there
 for the father she loved had just died

Many years later, I became a Christian and was baptized in water and the baptism of the Holy Spirit followed, with the gift of speaking in tongues enabling me to pray according to the will of God.

'Father, where are You?' said the 'child' once again
'Father where are You?' she cried
but this time it was not as it had been then
for now God was the 'Father' on Whom she relied

It is difficult to say exactly where my testimony begins as, looking back in my life, I remember things that happened over the years which demonstrated God's power and love even when I did not know Him.  My natural father kept a Bible in the house and although I do not remember him attending churches, I do remember him taking me with him to other Christians' house meetings. My memories of him before his death when I was eleven years old are of a kind and gentle man who looked to God's word for guidance, and who seemed to be a doer of God's word and not just a hearer of it. We lived on the edge of a town close to a dockyard, and many mornings when I was a small child I would come down for breakfast to find my father giving a cup of tea and some food to a stranger who had come to the door, or filling a flask with tea for a caller.  I did not know who they were and accepted it as normal then.  My sister later told me they were 'tramps' who had come to know of my father's kindness.  
Once when I had been sent home from school sick, I was laying on the sofa with severe pain in my stomach.  I remember my father sitting beside me and praying.  As he spoke, everything in the room appeared to turn blue and a warm, almost anaesthetic feeling replaced the pain and I was made well.  I have told many people about this incident but it is only since I have discovered from the Bible that healing is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit given to those that believe on Jesus, that I have fully understood why the pain went as a result of my father's prayer.
As a child I had always been fascinated by this person Jesus Who, as I read in Bible stories, 'went about doing good'.  I remember crying myself to sleep after reading a story about Him.  I still carry a picture in my mind from that children's book of Jesus standing with His hands outstretched to children, with doves perched on Him arms and shoulders.  I could not understand in my child's mind how anyone could kill such a kind and loving person.  The memory of this picture now makes me think of how God stretches out His hands to the world and offers Jesus.

I SEE THE SUN (SON)
arising on this world of confusion, it's rays reaching out to penetrate even the deepest forests and the darkest caves.  It seeks to take away the cold and the darkness that the night has caused, and to replace them with warmth and light.

I SEE RAYS
that are of such power that the very earth itself seems to rise up to meet them, as if it has been waiting for the dawning, eager to thrust off the terror of the night , which once seemed to have no end.

I SEE JESUS
'For Thou art my lamp O Lord' - and the Lord will lighten my darkness

If anyone who is in a bad, or sad, position is reading this post who has not come to Christ - I recommend that they call on His name.



Jesus is the Light. In John ch. 8 v.12 Jesus says 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'

7 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Such a riveting reflection on your coming to know Jesus and the power of prayer to heal, Brenda. My healing process since having pneumonia in January is ongoing, but with each passing day, I know the prayers of others have helped immensely. If I'm honest with myself, I know I wouldn't even be here but for the power of prayer.
Blessings!

Brenda said...

Hi Sandi,
thankyou for your kind comment. If only those who do not know our Lord could know how beautiful it is to know Him. God bless.

Brenda said...

Hi Martha,
I am so glad that you are gradually healing from that awful condition. I know that prayer is powerful, including our own prayer for ourselves. My life in the Lord has sometimes been very testing, but as the scriptures say we must even consider it joy to go through trials and testing in our journey with the Lord. I will say continually 'I will love Thee O Lord my strength. God bless.

Laurie Collett said...

Thank you, Brenda, for this beautiful testimony. Tomorrow, Lord willing, I will resume teaching ladies' Bible study for the first time since the pandemic began. The topic is the Book of John, and I have just reviewed the verses about Jesus being the Light of the world and overcoming the darkness. God bless you.

Brenda said...

Hi Laurie,
we could not have a brighter light than the Lord, and His guiding Word. It will be nice for you to get back to your ladies' group, sharing what you feel to share. God bless you and the group of ladies you will be with.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you so much for sharing, Brenda.

God bless you.

Brenda said...

You are very welcome Victor, we overcome the spiritual enemy by the word of our testimony. God bless you too with all He has for us in Jesus.