Mhttp://godsbigshow.blogspot.com/y Blog List

Thursday 22 September 2022

My Journey Through the wilderness Part 2

 Sure enough, it was not long before I was experiencing all the trials and temptations that the children of Israel had experienced.  The battles were many, just like theirs, only theirs had been physical and mine were spiritual.  Glimpses of an easier time in my old, sinful life flashed through my mind, just like their thoughts had turned to the cucumbers and melons they had enjoyed in Egypt instead of the daily 'manna' they had to eat in the wilderness.

 
Sometimes it was very hard to put into practice God's word, even though I knew it was for my own good.  I knew that I had to let go of all the things that were sinful in my nature, the things that opposed God.  I had to leave behind my old life, I had been born again of God's Spirit and now had to learn His ways.  I had to have my mind renewed in Christ.  My old way of life had brought separation from God, the spiritual death that all mankind had inherited through Adam.



As I was shown scripture in Colossians ch. 3 vs.5-10, telling me to 'put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of these the wrath of God is coming.  In these you too once walked, when you were living in them.  But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.  Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.'  my natural mind told me 'impossible'.  However, by then I was already being shown that what was not possible with man was possible with God and my prayers to Him, and even what I felt were His instruction to me, had been coming out in a way which was completely extraordinary to me, in song and poem form.  



There were other scriptures which I was shown that the natural mind might interpret as harsh, as in DON'T DO THAT!!, but which my renewed mind was beginning to see more as a loving voice saying 'Child, I don't want you to be deceived into walking away from the blessings in Me'.  One of those scriptures was Hebrews ch. 6 vs. 4-6. 'For it is impossible in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the Word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding Him up to contempt.'  

  


The more I prayed to God to help me on my journey, the more He kept feeding me with the Word to instruct me, and giving me songs and poems of encouragement.  
The following are a song and poem that were written at particularly difficult stages of my Christian walk, and a scripture of encouragement that was given to me during that time.


Let go

Let go of the things that are holding you child
the things that will keep you from Me
each sin you hold onto is forming the crown 
that was placed on My head can't you see
Let the chains round your heart be unlocked by My love
let the light of My truth enter in
there's no longer a sentence of death on you child
if you'll only let go of your sin

Let go, let go of your burden my child

lift your eyes and look into My face
see the blood running out from the wound in My side
as I'm nailed to this cross in your place
see the water that flows from beneath My torn heart
it's a river of life to you now
but while you're holding on to the things of this world
there's a thorn pressing deep in My brow

So let go of the things that are drawing you back

to this world and its pleasures again
for although they appear to be joy for a while
they can only bring suffering and pain
I was wounded and pierced for the sins of this world
My stripes show the terrible price
and if you turn again from what I've saved you from
there remains no more sacrifice  


Put away the mirror child

Put away the mirror child  lay it on a shelf
it won't reflect perfection  it only shows you self
look into the well of life and see another face
the face of God the Father - full of truth and grace




This water  - it will cleanse you from the filthiness of sin
throw off the rags of this world - come son of Adam step in
Yes put away the mirror child and lay it on a shelf
lest you forget what God's making you 
.......... and become your former self


'Therefore brothers and sisters, we have an obligation - but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it.  For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.  For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.'  Romans ch.8 vs.12-14 


Thank You Father for sending us Your Holy Spirit which we could only receive through the amazing sacrifice of Your Son Jesus.  'By this He meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were later to receive.  Up to that time the Spirit had not been given since Jesus had not yet been glorified'. John ch.7 v.39  


Easter Poem

Forever grateful Father
that You gave your precious Son
who, knowing His awesome destiny
said 'Not my will but Your will be done'
Yet it pleased You to bruise Him Father
so that I might have peace and be healed
for through this one act of sacrifice
was Your gift of salvation revealed

Forever remembering Jesus
that You hung upon that tree
taking the pain and punishment
that was meant for a sinner like me
Yet You chose not to open Your mouth Lord
and call on the Heavenly host
to come to Your aid on that lonely day
No...... You suffered and gave up the ghost

Forever Yours Holy Spirit
while You teach me and make all things clear
chastising me when I go astray
and wiping away each tear
Oh Father I love and respect You
and Jesus I want to obey
so guide me great Spirit and keep me
'til my Lord returns for me one day

Thanks be to God for His unspeakable gift.  2 Corinthians ch.8 v.15

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything in this world is antithesis to that of God's. Everyday, we face spiritual battles & start with ourselves, with the choices we make. Lots to chew from the words of your poems sister. The change isn't easy but only by God's grace. Thanks be to God for His love, grace, & mercy! God bless & protect you sister Brenda🙏

Anonymous said...

Opps .. sorry... I didn't log in but it's Rosel dropping by a warm "hello" & 🙏 from Off The Beaten Trek😊

Brenda said...

Hi Rosel, absolutely thanks be to God and His lovely Son Jesus for his love, grace and mercy. I always get emotional when I hear the song Amazing Grace. God bless you my sister in the Lord.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Once again, Brenda, I found your poems/songs to be so honest and inspiring! We all, even as "mature" Christians, struggle with the allures and temptations of this world, even though we know they mean us harm. I find myself each day recommitting myself to God and His Word to keep me on the straight and narrow.
Blessings!

Brenda said...

Hi Martha, thank you for your kind comment. As you do, I too have spiritual battles most days in my thoughts. The lovely thing is that the more we seek God's Word through the scriptures the more the Lord brings the truth into our minds to fight the spiritual enemy's lies. God bless you for visiting Martha.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Our walk with God can often seem difficult and hard work. Persevere.

God bless always.

Brenda said...

Hi Victor, yes , that is why I keep a little framed picture on my bedside unit with the scripture I will love thee O Lord my strength on it. God bless for visiting.

Sandi said...

"...Put away the mirror child lay it on a shelf
it won't reflect perfection"

Wow. This is so true.

Sandi said...

"...and keep me
'til my Lord returns for me one day"


This closing thought brought this to mind:

1 Peter 1:3-5

According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Brenda said...

Hi Sandi, that is right. I would hate not to be taken up with the Lord when He returns . The scriptures say that many will fall away from the faith, a nf I do not want to be one of those.

Brenda said...

Hebrews ch. 6 vs. 4-6 days that it is impossible if we fall away from the faith to.be restored because we crucify Christ afresh

Brenda said...

Sorry, should have said 'says' not days.

Laurie Collett said...

Hi Brenda,
Beautiful poems and Bible truths, as always! Dying to self, the world, and our sin nature, is so difficult -- impossible without Holy Spirit guidance. Praise God for His amazing sacrifice, for His unspeakable gift, that gives believers eternal life and allows us to become more like Him daily, if we do not quench or grieve the Spirit.
May God bless you and your lovely ministry,
Laurie

Brenda said...

Hi Laurie,
thank you for your kind comment, all glory to our Father God and His Son Jesus. How often to we say to anyone 'Not my will but your will'. Yet Jesus said this to His Father in order to save all sinners. God bless you Laurie.