Mhttp://godsbigshow.blogspot.com/y Blog List

Friday 28 July 2023

Hybrid

 'What's a hybrid now?' I asked the shop owner, as I noticed the word on one of the products that he sold in his game shop.  I could not quite remember whether a hybrid was the original of something, or an original with something else grafted in.  'It's where something is grafted into something else to make a new species with the qualities of both donors.' he replied. ' Ah yes', I said.  I had been reading that morning from Colossians ch. 3, where Paul was reminding the church at Colossae how the old nature, the fleshly nature, was dead, and that we are alive to Christ.  I had thought, while reading, how careful we have to be not to resurrect that old nature .  This passage of scripture now drifted back into my mind, as I pondered on the word 'hybrid', and I thought about how Christians could become hybrid, our nature being produced by a mix of our old and new nature, or a mix of God's Word and man's doctrine, if we did not stay alert. 

That evening I was sat in my lounge with my husband.  He was watching a film on the television, which was set during the second world war.  I am not very interested in war films, and so my mind started to reflect on other things.  I was thinking about what I should take as a devotional for the writers' circle that I attend each month.  The Lord had been speaking to me about His commandment in John ch 13 to us, to love one another as He has loved us, and I was thinking that maybe I would share something on this theme.

In the midst of my thoughts, my husband said, 'That's a hybrid'.  Suddenly, my mind was alert, I had heard this word twice in the space of a few hours, and once again I was reminded of the subject of the two natures in the book of Colossians.  Turning to my husband, I asked 'What's a hybrid?'.  'That army vehicle' he said, looking towards the television screen.  'What do you mean, that vehicle is a hybrid?' I said.  'It can run on petrol or electricity' my husband replied.  How would you clarify a hybrid I asked.  'It's a mix of two' he said.  Two days later a friend rang me and said during our conversation  'My second nature's gone'.  I realized almost immediately that she was talking about a Katherine Jenkins music CD that she had, that she had told me a few days before might have fallen down the back of a unit in her flat.  The significance of what she said spoke spiritually to me, and I felt that the Lord was definitely bringing my attention to the carnal and the spiritual natures, and of how we can lose our new, spiritual nature if we do not allow the old, clay vessel to be broken and the new vessel to be moulded by heeding the Lord's teachings, and so it is on this theme that I have based the following thoughts.

If I, once I am born again of God's Holy Spirit, choose only to accept correction from God when it suits me by being a hearer of the Word and not a doer of the Word, or accept doctrine within a church when I know it is false doctrine, then my nature will be hybrid, a mixture of the carnal and the spiritual, and I will not be changed into the true image of Christ.  Hence the importance of obeying God's Word, and also checking the word of man to see if it aligns with scripture.

In Colossians ch. 3 we are encouraged to seek and set our minds on the things above, not on the things that are on the earth because if we have been raised with Christ then we have died to the flesh and our life is hidden with Christ in God.  Paul then goes on to instruct believers to put to death what is earthly in them:- fornication, impurity, passion, evil desire and covetousness, which is idolatry, on account of which, he says, the wrath of God is coming.  So we see that the wrath of God is activated through the corrupt carnal nature.  Paul further encourages us not to lie to one another, seeing that we have put off the old nature with it's practices, and have put on the new nature, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of it's creator.  Then he lists the beautiful characteristics of this new divine nature of God which is revealed in Christ, as we are told to put on compassion, kindness, lowliness, meekness, and patience, forbearing one another, forgiving each other.  As the Lord has forgiven us, he says so we also must forgive, and above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.

If we look at the characteristics of love, as stated in 1 Corinthians ch. 13 we see that it is patient and kind, is not jealous or boastful, it is not arrogant or rude.  Love does not insist on it's own way, it is not irritable or resentful, it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right.  Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Jesus says in John ch. 13 vs.34 and 35 , 'A new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another as I have loved you, even so I have loved you that you also love one another.  By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.  Jesus does not say that He gives us a choice that we love one another, He says that He gives us a commandment to love one another.  So we see that this new nature is essential, not only to bind the body of Christ together in perfect harmony, but also that it will be evidence to the whole world that we are His disciples.  How important then that all of us be on our guard, and take every thought into captivity, recognising where these thoughts are coming from and if they are confessing Christ, and in line with the Word of God.

Proverbs ch. 7 vs. 1 to 5 says 'My son, keep my words and treasure up my commandments with you, keep my commandments and live, keep my teachings  as the apple of your eye, bind them on your fingers, write them on the tablet of your heart.  Say to wisdom, 'You are my sister,' and call insight your intimate friend, to preserve you from the loose woman, from the adventuress with her smooth words.'  We need to ask the Lord for His wisdom and insight to keep our divine nature from being adulterated by worldly values.

Recently, a neighbour's house was burgled.  The thief broke a kitchen window and entered the house in broad daylight, and in full view of neighbouring houses and passers by.  This neighbour had cut down all the trees in his back garden that would originally have hidden his kitchen window from view.  Whenever he went on holiday, there were three of his friends in the street that had keys to his house and looked around his property day and night.  The Lord has shown me a spiritual principal in what has happened to my neighbour.  It is that all the carnal wisdom and protection in the world may not spare us from the thief.

I recognise in my own life how I am having to put off my old nature by examining daily, even hourly, whether my thoughts and actions are in accordance with what I see in Jesus' teachings, and the following poem is the prayer that I have written to the Lord to help me in this task.

You and me

Increase the 'You' in me Lord increase the solid rock 
increase the strength the Father sent to protect from every knock
Increase the 'You' in me Lord when I try to stand alone
remind me that I'm still a child, that in You I'm not yet grown
Increase the 'You' in me Lord, take all my foolish pride
take the 'me' that still remains in me and place the 'You' inside
increase the 'You' in me Lord that when all is said and done
and people say 'Thank you, thank you' I'll say 'Not me...God's Son.

19 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Wonderful prayer.

God bless, Brenda.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your very kind comment Victor, and God bless you with all He has for us in Jesus as you love your life in Him.

Anonymous said...

Meant to say 'live your life in Him' , but I am sure you love your life in Him' too. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Don't know why it is coming up as anonymous, maybe because I am on my phone, but it is me Brenda.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

"He must increase and I must decrease."
Yes, Lord, make me over in Your image!
Blessings, Brenda!

Brenda said...

Hi Martha Jane, yes, may the Lord make us over in His image. God bless you.

Sandi said...

A beautiful poem and prayer at the end. I prayed it too.

A powerful reminder, and so true, that we must be careful to follow Him alone.

Thank you, Brenda. God bless you in all things.

Brenda said...

Hi Sani, yes, we must be very careful to follow Him alone. Having the mind of Christ in this world is a strong and powerful protection against the spiritual enemy when we act on His Word to us. God bless you Sandi.

Frank E. Blasi said...

Dear Brenda,
An excellent treatise on personal sanctification and our daily growth in Christ.
I once heard in a sermon back in 1974 that in 1 Corinthians 13, the word "charity" (we used the KJV back then) can be replaced by the word "God".
He that loveths not knows not God, for God is love - 1 John 4:8.
As you say, we are students of God's Kingdom, or disciples, learning how to transform our lives from selfishness to loving others as God loves us.
After 50 years of believing in Jesus Christ as Saviour, I'm still learning.
Blessings to you and your husband.

Brenda said...

Hi Frank, yes I am still learning too. That is why the scriptures day we are born again as a child of God. A child learns as it grows, and God's ways are far above man's ways.Je is loving and forgiving, and understands we are flesh. The Holy Spirit is the best teacher we could have.. God bless you and Alex with all He has for us on Jesus.

Brenda said...

Sorry about my spelling, should have checked it before I sent it. The letters are a bit close to one another on my phone

Laurie Collett said...

Hi Brenda,
Until we receive our glorified bodies, our carnal nature and new spiritual creation in Christ will always be at war with one another, as the apostle Paul explains. May we daily learn to mortify the flesh and yield to the Spirit to be more like Christ each day as He progressively shapes us into His image.
God bless you,
Laurie

Brenda said...

I say a big AMEN to your prayer Laurie. We are all born into Christ as children of God, and it takes time to grow into adulthood in Him. All I know is that God's ways and thoughts are far greater than man's ways and thoughts. God bless you Laurie.

Fundy Blue said...

This was a faith-filled thoughtful post which shows how God is speaking to you and working through you, Brenda. You always inspire me with your testimony. Have a lovely weekend.

Brenda said...

Thank you Louise for your very kind comment. As I have got to know you through your blog I can see that you are a very kind person
God bless

Laurie Collett said...

Amen, Brenda! His ways and thoughts are higher than ours, and even when we don't understand, we should trust and obey. May God bless you and your lovely ministry,
Laurie

Brenda said...

That is so right Laurie, that even when we don't understand we should trust and obey. God's thoughts and ways are not our ways and although as children of God in Jesus, we take time to learn - acting upon the Word spoken to us daily will lead us into all truth through the mind of Christ. God bless you Laurie as you share your lovely Christ (the Word of God) inspired posts.

Lux G. said...

That's a really good reflection, Brenda. Sometimes we hear a word and feel a prodding, and I think that's amazing. God has a beautiful way of catching our attention.

Brenda said...

That is right Lux, God often accompanies His Word to us with signs. God bless.